Getting "inked"?

If it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, this is probably the place for it.
TheNiteHawk
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My lust for knowledge will never be satisfied.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: He/Him
Sexual identity: Heterosexual Male

Getting "inked"?

Unread post by TheNiteHawk »

Hello Scarleteen,

A while ago, I though about getting a tattoo, but then I sort of stopped thinking about it (because I was a different person back then, less open-minded.)

My best friend's girlfriend recently got herself a tattoo on her upper back. That reminded me and rekindled my old interest in getting one.

My birthday is next month, and I figured I might get one, as a birthday present to myself. I'm going to start with something small, on my upper arm. That way it will be visible by pulling up my sleeve, but not so much that it will damage my chances of getting a job or looking professional.

I know I have to look for a place that is licensed, sanitary and friendly. Only thing is, I'm worried about how much it's going to hurt and how difficult it will be to take care of it for the first few weeks.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

EDIT (17:44): I have read "http://www.scarleteen.com/article/bodie ... ion_primer on the main website.
Enemy to those who make him an enemy; friend to those who have no friends.
MusicNerd
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: my creativity
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Getting "inked"?

Unread post by MusicNerd »

Hey Nite Hawk! So, I can't 100% guarantee that this will be your experience, but I could tell you about when I got my tattoo over the summer. :)

I actually have a tattoo on my upper inner arm, and tbh: even though people told me it was gonna feel like cat scratches, I didn't believe them because it sounded like such a strange way to describe pain. lol But for me it DID end up feeling like cat scratches; so not like the worst pain in the world, but also definitely not the most pleasant thing ever. It might end up feeling worse than you thought or not as bad, but everyone's different in terms of pain.

Have you thought about taking a friend/relative who already has a tattoo with you? They could possibly refer you to a place they really like. I know it helped put me at ease to go with one of my close friends who's like a big sister to me because: 1. She's gotten multiple tattoos from super-credible/hygienic places and 2. She was able to help me gauge what a reasonable price would be for my tattoo when we shopped around for prices at different neighboring parlors. Oh yeah, really important: shop around for pricing at different parlors!! Some may charge way more than others, so you never know. Also, it was just comforting to have my friend there when I finally did get mine.

Oh, and do your research online beforehand to narrow down parlors to see if the artists are certified in your area and what hygienic precautions they take.

As for aftercare, your tattoo artist will be able to give you instructions personalized to you/your tattoo, and as long as you follow them closely you should be fine! :)

P.S. My friend gave me really great advice beforehand, which was: do NOT under any circumstances look up people getting tattoos on YouTube!! haha They tend to over exaggerate their pain and that will only freak you out. :roll:

Edit: oops, just saw that you read that really great article about body mods that I had no idea existed here!! So, feel free to ignore most of my post if you want. lol
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss
TheNiteHawk
not a newbie

Thank you kindly, MusicNerd! Your advice was very helpful. I've done some research, and talked to some people this evening. I think I've narrowed it down to a certain parlor. I don't know who I'd take, as noone in my family has a tattoo. I can maybe ask a friend, though.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

I actually just got back from the tattoo parlor, so the experience is fresh in my mind! I've had a good bit of tattoo work done; most of mine are larger pieces that have taken several sessions to complete.

In terms of pain, everyone experiences it differently. Having a friend to have a distracting conversation with might help, or you might find that bringing headphones and your favorite album, podcast, or book on tape does a better job of focusing you. Depending on the body part being tattooed I've had it feel like everything from a light scratch to being cut with a serrated knife; for me, solid muscle feels less painful and thin skin (like the inner elbow) or bony areas hurt more. But I've heard people complain about muscle being the worst! So your reaction will be fairly unique to you.

Aftercare is mostly about keeping it clean, both well-rinsed with a mild soap in the shower and making sure your shirts are very clean, and keeping the tattoo well-moisturized. But a good artist will be clear about aftercare instructions.

My final thought is this - there's no reason for a tattoo artist to be a jerk or give you attitude. If you don't feel put at ease by an artist or feel like they're not being patient with you when you're first talking to them, it's ok to walk out and find someone you click with.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her

Unread post by Sam W »

Throwing my two cents in, I got my first about a year ago on my shoulder. That's a pretty standard "beginners" tattoo spot, since it's known for not being very painful. It definitely didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would (although I had prepped myself for quite a bit of pain). Like Mo said, it just totally depends on you and your body, so YMMV. I found talking definitely helps, but because I went alone, I yammered the ear off of my tattoo artist (but hey, I was probably not the first person to do so). As far as aftercare, aquafor is a great one for keeping the tattoo moisturized.

Also, don't be in a rush when you go. If you're in a good parlor, they will often want to go over the placement and maybe other details of the design with you, and it's important to have time to think about and discuss any of that stuff, because it will help you be the happiest you can with the final product.
TheNiteHawk
not a newbie

Much appreciated Mo and Sam! If I don't find anyone to go with, I'll probably end up talking to the tattoo artist the entire time. You're making me feel a lot more comfortable with the idea, and I thank you for that. :)

This is an idea I've played around with for some time now, and (regardless of whether I get one or not) I'm glad I'm finally getting to put it in motion.
Keda
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always nice, I just sometimes hide it well
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: Wibbly wobbly sexy wexy

Unread post by Keda »

Hmm, you've reminded me that for four years I intended to get my nose pierced when I finished my first degree, as a sort of symbolic "holy crap" given how impossible completing a law degree would have been for me for a long time - that was a year and a half ago, I should get on it. :P
TheNiteHawk
not a newbie

Alright, so a few weeks ago I visited the tattoo parlor I had decided on. I did my research and looked around at a few places before I came back to a friend of mine's suggestion. It was clean, friendly and had won a few awards from the local newspaper, so it seemed like the best place to go. I stopped in with the design I've been thinking on and asked a few questions about it, all of which were answered professionally.

I'm planning probably next week, maybe after I'm done with classes (if I don't chicken out). If anyone has anything to add, feel free to. If not, wish me luck!
Keda
not a newbie

Unread post by Keda »

Good luck! I hope it comes out brilliantly :)
TheNiteHawk
not a newbie

I found this quote on the internet: "Strength does’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the thing you once thought you couldn’t." Wise words, indeed.
TheNiteHawk
not a newbie

A little update, I booked myself for this Friday (the 12th), and I managed to get a friend of mine to come along! He's never had a tattoo before, but I'm sure it'll help to have him there, give me someone to talk to and whatnot.
Kela
not a newbie
Primary language: UK English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Cisgender and Straight

Unread post by Kela »

Hi guys!! just thought id jump in on this as I am also thinking of getting a tattoo :)
I was having trouble thinking of where to get it on my body: like you NiteHawk, id need it to be somewhere that wasn't visible to the extent that it would affect my job chances and looking professional. soo I was thinking about on my ribs, just underneath my boobs? anyone got any input on how it would feel/pain level etc of getting it in this place? ive spoken to a few people who say its likely to hurt quite a lot :/
What kind of design are you going for, NiteHawk?
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: she/her

Unread post by Johanna »

Kela, it's really tricky to make predictions about what will hurt, because it's really very individual. For example, I was told that getting a tattoo on the top of my foot would hurt quite a lot, but I did not find that very painful at all, whereas I felt a lot of pain when I got a tattoo on my upper arm, a place lots of people told me was relatively painfree.
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
TheNiteHawk
not a newbie

Yeah, I've heard it really depends from person to person on how much it hurts. I know this though, just like everything else, the more you relax, the less it will hurt! I'm getting mine on my upper arm, and the design is this: http://tattoosgallery.us/wp-content/upl ... 30x330.jpg
Kela
not a newbie
Primary language: UK English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Cisgender and Straight

Unread post by Kela »

aah I really like that design!! any meaning behind it?
I was going to get some lyrics from the Pink song 'Try': "just because is burns doesn't mean youre gona die, you got to get up and try try try' might sound abit soppy but that song spoke to me when I was in a very dark place and I use that as my mantra today!!
TheNiteHawk
not a newbie

I just chose the design because it's simple (I didn't want anything too intricate for my first tattoo). But it's also easy to make out what it is. I've always liked wolves as animals, even since I was a kid. I chose it because the wolf is an animal of grace and strength. It's a also a symbol spiritualism to many Native American tribes (although I'm neither spiritual nor a member of a Tribe). I'm sure I could write something better, but I'll leave it at that for now.

Also, I really like those lyrics. Even though I'm not a real fan of Pink, I've heard that song a few times. I'm glad you could find yourself such a good mantra. :)
TheNiteHawk
not a newbie

Well everybody, I did it. :)

I got in there around 16:55 and he turned the gun off at 17:17. Aside from being a little lightheaded in the beginning, that went away and I got it done without any incident. It really was more annoying than painful. Sure, it hurt, but not overly. My artist was kind, knowledgable and took breaks when I asked him. Also I brought my friend along, it was nice to talk to him while I was getting work done. All in all, it went well.

Thanks to everyone who responded and offered me advice and support! :D
Keda
not a newbie

Unread post by Keda »

Awesome, I'm glad it went well! How's it looking?
TheNiteHawk
not a newbie

It looks fantastic, especially since I picked black and my arm is basically snow white, so it really shows up. It's healing fine, at least it appears to be.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic