Book recommendations?

Questions and discussion about your sexuality and how it's a part of who you are as a person.
MusicNerd
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: my creativity
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: queer

Book recommendations?

Unread post by MusicNerd »

Hi there! So, does anyone here have any book recommendations that deal with advice on dealing with racism in queer dating (especially for queer women)? I haven't had any luck in finding books on that topic. :? Thanks!
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Book recommendations?

Unread post by Heather »

While this is not the primary focus, given the breadth of the work, it does come up in This Bridge Called My Back: Writings by Radical Women of Color. Have you read that yet? If not, just period, I think of it as one of the most essential reads of feminism and you'd likely love it, since it is just freaking amazing.

This was also something Audre Lorde has written about, and that's obvs another read-anyway-because-she-is-a-goddess. :)

Otherwise, I can think of a few different anthologies that talk about this, but they are all attached to very specific racial groups, such as being South Asian, Middle Eastern or Caribbean, etc.

Also, Mia McKenzie wrote an essay that talks about some of this with her usual panache: http://www.blackgirldangerous.org/2012/ ... o-stop-it/

Edited to add that: duh, her Black Girl Dangerous anthology is FULL of what you are likely looking for. Methinks someone needs another cup of coffee. :P
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
MusicNerd
not a newbie

Hey Heather! Thanks for all of your awesome recommendations!! :)

OMG, I've actually come across that Mia McKenzie essay recently! The two extremes of racism in dating she addresses in that piece (esp. anti-black racism in online dating) really spoke to me, and are things I've been really struggling with quite a bit recently. I kinda wanna bring it up with my therapist, but I'm also pretty nervous about doing that... but that's a whole other topic. lol I really need to check out the Black Girl Dangerous anthology though, since I didn't even know it existed!

I also need to read more Audre Lorde, tbh, since she seems really cool. I'm actually going to be reading some of her work in one of my classes that focuses on looking at US history and cultural memory through a black feminist lens (and it's such a cool class that I could gush about all day!! but I'll restrain myself haha).

I've vaguely heard of This Bridge Called My Back, I think because it was circulating Tumblr (of course lol :roll: ), but I've never read it and will def pick it up!

I actually just finished drinking coffee only a couple of hours ago, so no worries. lol :P Thanks so much for the list of reads to check out! :)
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I'd say that Sister Outsider is not only Lorde's most seminal work in a lot of ways, it also is probably the right one to get started with per what you're looking for. :)

Also: that class sounds amazing! And so sadly rare, but how great it is available for you!!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
MusicNerd
not a newbie

Ooh~ Okay, I'll def check it out! Thanks so much, Heather!! :mrgreen:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic