Chlamydia Question!

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
carmensandiego
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: straight

Chlamydia Question!

Unread post by carmensandiego »

Dear Scarleteen Team,

Long time listener, first time caller! I'm 27 and in a long-term relationship. Someday, I'd like to have children, and my question concerns chlamydia detection and fertility.

How long AFTER the initial infection would you potentially test positive? In other words, how long after 'contracting' chlamydia would you still be able to detect it? Specifically, I'm worried about the likelihood of developing PID. This was brought to my attention when a good friend of mind discovered she had been rendered infertile by a past infection.

At 27, would I be able to find out if I had had a chlamydia infection at 21? How long do they typically last? Is there even a straightforward answer to this question? I don't have any hard evidence that I've had PID or chlamydia (never had symptoms, but that's common enough). However, I did have a number of sex partners (around 20) when I was in my early 20s, which is a risk factor. I used condoms for penetration but never oral sex. I got one STI screening when I was maybe 20 but didn't make it a regular practice (shame!), mostly because of the cost.

Does it make any sense to get tested now?

Thanks very much!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Chlamydia Question!

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Carmensandiego,

I would say getting tested now is a sound call, period, since it's been awhile since you were last tested and it's useful to know your status. And yes, even if it was contracted awhile ago, if chlamydia is still in your system it will be found on the test.
carmensandiego
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: straight

Unread post by carmensandiego »

Thank you so much for your answer! Follow-up question: Is it at all possible that chlamydia that I contracted a while ago did a bunch of damage (such as PID), and is now 'undetectable' (no longer in my system)? Or is it either dormant or active? Thanks again!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

My understanding is that if it reached the pointing of doing damage, it would still be in your system.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic