Worried.

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Liz_1014
not a newbie

Worried.

Unread post by Liz_1014 »

I'm 16 years old and my nipples do not protrude like normal. They are not inverted, but they only stick out like normal nipples when touched or brushed against my towel or something. When this happens it shrivels into the normal nipple shape. Would I ever have normal nipples? The aerola is also puffy and my breast don't seem to be growing. Can you explain the puffiness and why I still don't have nipples? Is there a way to predict how they turn out? The females on both sides of my family have at least a C or D cup, so why am I not developing. At last, it's as if my butt has shrunk and gotten a little flat and saggy. I have lost some weight so maybe that's why. Why am I not coming together beautifully???! :cry:
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Worried.

Unread post by Karyn »

Breasts, just like any other body part, vary a lot in shape and size from person to person, and I'm not hearing anything in your description to suggest that there is anything wrong with yours. Plenty of people have nipples that are flat, and areaolas that look more puffy, just like some people have bigger noses or small feet or freckles. If you're concerned, you can always check in with your doctor, but it really doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with you. You can also read more about breasts and all their possible variations here: Abreast: The Basics of Boobies

Too, at 16, you are likely not finished with puberty yet, so you may have some more growing left to do that could affect the size and shape of your breasts and nipples. (Although even if you don't, again, they're very likely just fine as they are!) Looking at the women in your family can be some indication of what you might be able to expect, but not always: genetics are tricky like that. :)

We have a couple of pieces that I think might be helpful for you, on accepting your body as it is, and not worrying too much about what you think it should look like.
Life Lessons from the Third Stall on the Left
Seven Ways to Love Your Body
The Scarleteen Do-It
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic