Antibiotics, OCP, and placebo

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
jhelens0529

Antibiotics, OCP, and placebo

Unread post by jhelens0529 »

Hi everyone!

I have a question about antibiotics and the pill. I finished my last pill of Amoxillicin on day 19 of 21 of my last pill pack. I'm currently on my placebo pills. I've read in some places that you should wait 7 days after your last antibiotic pill for your OCP to kick in again.

Is this 7 days of active pills or just 7 days (even though there will be a couple of days where I'm taking placebo pills)? Or, will I be okay as soon as I start my new pill pack, which will be 9 days after I took my last antibiotic pill?

I hope I'm clear with my description. If not, I can clarify. Thanks!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Antibiotics, OCP, and placebo

Unread post by Heather »

Just seven days. But most current medical advice on this is just that once a person is done with the full course of an antibiotic, they're probably good.

Mind, if you don't already back up with condoms, we'll always advise that, because STI rates are just so high in the age group we serve, and dual contraception is what works best at preventing pregnancy. That's all the more vital if you've just had any kind of infection, because when you have one or are getting over one, you're always going to be more susceptible to other infections.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic