Nipple hair

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
MissT
not a newbie

Nipple hair

Unread post by MissT »

Hi everyone,

Hoping to get some comments from both volunteers and other users.

I'm a female (age 19) and I have quite a lot of nipped hair probably about 15 on each boob. Some which are quite noticeable. I've been checked for pcos which can usually be a cause for nipple hair which came back clear I also had a blood test and their was not hormonal imbalance.

I feel very alone on this as online other girls/ladies are only saying they have very few and others have none at all.

Just wondering if their is anyone else out their who is experiencing what I am and what they do??

Any comments would be very helpful!
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Re: Nipple hair

Unread post by Jacob »

Hi MissT,

Lots of people get nipple hair actually! It is one of those physical attributes which just varies from person to person.

Do you feel like it's something you want to do something about? Because it ain't compulsary, you've every right to let them be.

Or are there particular fears you have surrounding the hair being there?
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
MissT
not a newbie

Unread post by MissT »

I was a bit worried about pcos but from Visit with the doctor I no there's nothing wrong on that side of things. I am also a little concerned about something called herustim - just because I thought having that much wasnt normal as I have never heard or come across anything online that others had this much.

Tbh the hair being their does make me very insecure - and very unhappy - it makes me feel less of a 'women'. I am just afraid to touch it as I don't want to make it more noticeable than it already is.
Snorkmaiden
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I like to help.
Primary language: Dutch
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: straight butch

Unread post by Snorkmaiden »

I get them too. I don't really care for the way they look, so I remove them with tweezers. It's never caused any problems so far.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

You know, the idea that women don't have body hair is not only false, the feminine ideal of being hairless is also a) very much based on only people with certain genetics (namely, white, northern european women) and/or b) the relatively new convention (of only the last 100 years or so) of hair removal.

So, what I'd suggest to you is that you figure that if you identify yourself as a woman, you're a woman. Your body being a body, which is going to have things like hair, including on your breasts, doesn't change or diminish that. How could it? After all, here you are, a woman, and here this is, your body. Make sense?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
MissT
not a newbie

Unread post by MissT »

Yeah that makes sense - over this past week it's just been the only thing on my mind. I would see myself looking at them 24\7 and it was very much depressing me to the point I was beginning to feel very unhappy.

Today I decided to pluck them - I got rid of most of them especially the ones I found to be more noticeable. I'm a little apprehensive as to whether they are going to come back worse.

We've established it's normal for girls/ladies to have them but is it normal to have lots just put of nowhere? I definitely remeber having a few then all of a sudden theirs were lots. I mean normal without having nay medical reason as to why they have just happened to sprout up. Family members tend not to me as hairy as me :/

Can I also ask if plucking will cause them to come back dark? Also there's no harm in me removing them right? Since doing so I just feel so much more happy in myself now I'm just a little concerned when they come back - although I am defo going to need to keep them away somehow.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

When you remove any hair, it may initially come in darker because it's new hair that won't have been softened or lightened by the sun, bathing, and all the things that kind of soften or wear down hairs.

You said you recently saw a healthcare provider, and they found nothing amiss with you, so you can know this isn't a health issue or based in one.

As people go through puberty -- which can last into the mid-twenties -- and then after, bodies will always keep changing, and what was known as your "normal" when you were a child or early in puberty isn't going to stay that way. Increases in body hair, anywhere, really, are one typical part of that.

I'd recognize, as you said at the start of this last response, that your focus on these hairs isn't going you any favors, but is making you unhappy. And that's something totally within your power to change. I know you've had other struggles with body image stuff before, this isn't the first time: have you been doing any work around that, including taking your focus OFF your appearance and putting more of it on to the whole of who you are and living your life? When you start to focus on body stuff in a negative way, what do you do to change that focus to something more beneficial and positive?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
MissT
not a newbie

Unread post by MissT »

I mean i guess this is just one of those things i have to accept (which im sure i will eventually). Since removing them i do feel more happy i will be more happy if i see i can maintain these results in the long term as i have a new found confidence with them gone in just a short amount of time.

I am definitely not usually someone who has a big deal with body hair i mean i have a tash ( i remove with hair remvoal cream have done for last few years) and can honestly say that didnt bother me at all ( i believe as its more talked about) So i had no idea why the hair being somewhere else was so bothersome to that extent. Although as u mentioned a few years back i definitely had some body image issues and had a lot of trouble accepting certain things about myself.

I feel that accepting past body image issue just really came with time and i did generally start to love myself a little more each day. ( sure i still have my days i will think i don't like something about my body and i could totally love it the next day).

I mean i have a new job now and thats the main thing that takes away this certain issue of my body image I have
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

It might also help to remember that some of us don't remove our body hair. That isn't to say doing so isn't okay, both choices are, as is everything in between. Why I say that is just to let you know that plenty of people, many of whom are women, even leave all their body hair just as it is and still have a positive body image. :)

So, hair, wherever it crops up, doesn't have to be a barrier to that!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic