Informative question about periods and pregnancy

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
hedera
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/her

Informative question about periods and pregnancy

Unread post by hedera »

Hi!

So, I have a question regarding periods and pregnancy, or rather periods during pregnancy. I know there have been cases of people getting "periods" and regular bleeding during the first months of pregnancy (my sister being an example of that), and that bleeding isn't necessarily a sign that you aren't pregnant.
However, what I've read on the internet is that if you do have bleeding, if it's accompanied by shedding tissue or blood clots (like during a regular period), that means that you can't be pregnant. I hope you understand what I'm thinking of.
I've always wondered whether that's actually true. Also, if it is true – I've read that on a few different websites, but none of them explain why that's the case, so I was wondering whether you knew.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my wonky English :]
CaitlinEve
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Informative question about periods and pregnancy

Unread post by CaitlinEve »

Hi hedera!

You are correct that pregnant people can have bleeding that looks like 'periods' during their pregnancy, even up until they give birth! About 1 in 4 pregnant people have some type of bleeding during their pregnancy, due to a wide variety of reasons including implantation of the fertilized egg (about 2 weeks after conception). These aren't menstruation specifically, as if you are menstruating you are not pregnant, but can often be mistaken for it. People who bleed during pregnancy should always check with their doctor, however!

Shedding tissues and blood clots during pregnancy may mean the individual is having a miscarriage or other complication with their pregnancy, as the spotting and bleeding that can occur during a pregnancy should not be producing tissue (because the uterine lining isn't shedding). Alternatively, some people who are not pregnant still have light periods without obvious tissue or blood clots. It's all very individual-specific!

Feel free to ask any more questions (and your English was perfect!) :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic