cosca + ocd

Questions and discussion about sexual or other abuse or assault, and support and help for survivors.
Forum rules
This area of the boards is expressly for support and help for those who are currently in or have survived abuse or assault. It is also for those seeking information or discussion about abuse or assault. Please make every effort in this space to be supportive and sensitive. Posts in this area may or do describe abuse or assault explicitly.

This area of the boards is also not an area where those who are themselves abusing anyone or who have abused or assaulted someone may post about doing that or seek support. We are not qualified to provide that kind of help, and that also would make a space like this feel profoundly unsafe for those who are being or who have been abused. If you have both been abused and are abusing, we can only discuss harm done to you: we cannot discuss you yourself doing harm to others. If you are someone engaging in abuse who would like help, you can start by seeking out a mental healthcare provider.
angelsswings
Awesomeness Quotient: Art skills
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

cosca + ocd

Post by angelsswings »

hi! i've seen a few threads on this topic but i just wanted to get this concern off my chest.

i'm afraid that i committed cosca as a child— i don't remember how old i was, i couldn't have been older than 6-8. when i was young i was interested in fanfiction online and i read a lot of stuff, but i didn't really have much supervision, so i think maybe i picked up on some stuff there? i have really vague memories of repeating these stories to my younger sister (4 years younger than me) and repeating some of the actions (like humping). i don't remember much at all—it's all really fuzzy. i know another incident where a friend of mine made a voice recording joking around and saying they wanted to have sex with me which i got upset about. somewhere in this mix i remember my parents having a conversation with me about sex and how its not appropriate for kids and i never did any of that kind of thing again.

on paper, this looks like child experimentation/repetition of stuff i saw online. but it's so hard for me to make sense of that, especially since i have pretty bad ocd. i get these horrible intrusive thoughts about the possible abuse i inflicted. i have no idea what to do or what to think!! sometimes i just get totally triggered by things and then i can't stop the guilt and shame spiral. sometimes i don't know if i am just an evil person.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Re: cosca + ocd

Post by Sam W »

Hi angelsswings,

From what you're describing, this fits with the kind of sexual experimentation and curiosity we know young children can and do engage in. I'm not hearing you describe any force or coercion, and it sounds like your motivation for this was curiosity rather than your own gratification.

I suspect, and it sounds like you do as well, that what's going on here is your OCD has chosen this as something to latch onto, meaning that even when you DO have the information needed to help you make sense of what happened, you have this voice yelling at you and drowning that information out. That's a stressful situation at the best of times, even more so when it's attached to something this serious. What kind of support are you receiving around your OCD? That could be things like counseling, medication, etc.
angelsswings
Awesomeness Quotient: Art skills
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Post by angelsswings »

hello! thanks for your response.

currently, i'm on a low dose of medication for my ocd, but i don't have the resources available to pursue therapy. that aside, i do want to try and do some self-guided erp exercises because even though i can't pursue therapy i don't want to just sit and let my ocd worsen— i do actively want to counter it. because really, having these sorts of thoughts and more is THE WORST.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Post by Sam W »

Okay! Here are a few different starting places. Some of them are more resource round-ups with suggestions of workbooks and similar you could look into using, and some are collections of different exercises and techniques to help you address OCD thought patterns: https://www.anxietycanada.com/sites/def ... _hmocd.pdf, https://www.mind.org.uk/information-sup ... e-for-ocd/, https://www.ocduk.org/overcoming-ocd/self-help/

Too, if you want to talk about the barriers to accessing therapy, we might be able to help you brainstorm some ways you could access it sooner rather than later.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic