Clarification on Potential Risks and Types of Contact

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
AlwaysLearning
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I am a good listener
Primary language: English
Pronouns: He/Him
Sexual identity: Straight

Clarification on Potential Risks and Types of Contact

Unread post by AlwaysLearning »

I’ve made sure to review your resources before reaching out. My partner and I are facing a lot of societal pressure due to our relationship, and I want to be as informed as possible to navigate these challenges responsibly.

Recently, an incident occurred where I ejaculated on my girlfriend's chest. She immediately went to clean it off as much as she could by first using her hands and then washing with water while seated. Though she was careful, I’m concerned about whether any semen could have unintentionally washed down to her vulva. Given the conservative setting we live in, understanding the exact risks is crucial for us.

Could you please help clarify whether this scenario might pose any risk of pregnancy? Additionally, would this be considered direct or indirect contact according to the definitions in your articles? We are trying to educate ourselves as much as possible to prevent any mishaps.

I apologize if this sounds naive. I do not intend to waste your time at all.

Have a nice day :)
Sofi
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I make my own nail art!
Primary language: Spanish or English
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: Clarification on Potential Risks and Types of Contact

Unread post by Sofi »

Hi there, welcome to the boards!
This would not be considered direct contact, and by the time she went and washed up, any sperm in the semen would probably not have survived enough to be risk of pregnancy, because if was outside the body. What you are describing is extremely low risk, I would not worry in this case.
I think this article will be helpful, give it a read and let me know if you have any follow-up questions! HUMAN REPRODUCTION: A SEAFARER'S GUIDE
AlwaysLearning
not a newbie

Thanks.
Just one follow up question, what affect does water have on semen? Even if some of it did came in contact with her vulva, that would be "mixed" with water as she was cleaning herself.
Also, we did not use any after pill, is that okay for this case and oh, if it helps, from the time she went to the bathroom to the time she started bathing, it would have taken approximately 3-5 minutes.
Thanks for your time.
Last edited by AlwaysLearning on Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Latha
Pronouns: she/her

Unread post by Latha »

Hi there, AlwaysLearning!

Washing with water should dilute semen. As Sofi said, you don't need to worry, since this situation is still low risk.
AlwaysLearning
not a newbie

Hi,
Thanks for the response. I didn't want to overwhelm the board with details. Maybe I was hoping for a "relax, no chance" but I understand your reasoning and that extremely low risk could very well mean a near zero probability case.
Thanks for your help.
Sam W
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi AlwaysLearning,

I do want to correct what was written above a bit: ejaculation on a body that isn't the genitals is not going to pose a risk of pregnancy, period. Even if sperm managed to be washed down to the genitals (which would already be quite a feat), it's not going to survive the trip there.
AlwaysLearning
not a newbie

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I really want you to know how much this message means to me. My brain kept overthinking on "low risk" and what if we might be part of that risk group.
I read the seafarer guide completely and I only have one question, no matter the "quantity" of semen that might have washed over her vulva while she was sitting and cleaning herself with water, since it is an indirect contact, there is no risk of pregnancy, am I correct?
Again, thank you so much for your time.
KierC
Awesomeness Quotient: I can and will reupholster anything
Pronouns: She/they

Unread post by KierC »

Hi AlwaysLearning,

We’re glad we can help! You are correct that there is no risk to pregnancy here, as you did not ejaculate onto her genitals. I hear your concern about semen that may have washed downward, but as Sam said, even if it did manage to wash down there, this would be indirect contact at best, which does not pose a risk.

Too, when sperm cells come in contact with an environment that is hotter or colder than the body, the cells will start to die, which is why we say that any sperm cells really wouldn’t last the trip down to the vulva, and then up the vagina. Does that help clarify a bit?
AlwaysLearning
not a newbie

I understand it completely and I read the guide about things that affect sperms inside semen (air, water, pH, etc)
Just to not complicate the topic further, in our city, we have an average temperature of 37°C. I do not think it is hotter or colder than the body temperature but I do not think this should have any affect on the viability of the sperms as they are exposed in open air, am I right?
I really want this to end at, even with this temperature the guide holds true and no pregnancy risk.
Thanks for all your help
Thanks
Andy
Pronouns: She/they

Unread post by Andy »

I’m glad you found the article helpful!

You are right, even if you take out the temperature as a factor, there are still other reasons that we talked about in the previous posts why the situation doesn’t pose a pregnancy risk.

It sounds like this is causing you quite a lot of stress, if you would like to talk about how to deal with it or avoid similar situation in the future, we are happy to do that with you!
AlwaysLearning
not a newbie

Yes, thank you. I am exhausted, thinking about all the situations where things might go against us. I read the seafarer article before commenting here; it was so clear and precise about why it couldn't happen for us. The fact that it's just not possible, and then reading 'low risk' here made me anxious. Sam's post confirming it was impossible brought some relief, and then there was the temperature thing. It's more about how my brain can't seem to accept that it was safe. It's like I've been thinking and obsessing about this for the past week, and the answer was that simple: no. So, if you have any suggestions on managing stress, I'd be really grateful. Thanks.
CaitlinEve
Pronouns: they/them

Unread post by CaitlinEve »

It seems like you have a lot of anxiety that you're dealing with. Here's an article that has Scarleteen-approved and recommended resources for handling that! Please note the specific section on pregnancy phobia and anxiety, as it seems like those resources may help you with your current anxieties. Beyond that; stress can be managed in many different ways and what works for others may not work for you so it's important to experiment. Here is a primer on self-care and its many different methods and manifestations. Please feel free to utilize Scarleteen as a resource as well, and let us know if you have any more questions!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic