is it selfish to not want children?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
naurmi008
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/her

is it selfish to not want children?

Unread post by naurmi008 »

hi
the boys at my school seem to not be able to wrap their heads around the fact that i do not want to have children, at all
a lot of adults around me tell me that i'll change my mind as i grow up but i really don't think i will
i don't want to sacrifice my body, my career, my life for a child
i know society has come far enough to give mothers the chance to still live out their lives to the fullest but the place i live in, it's considered a grave sin if a mother doesdn't dedicate her whole life towards her baby
and i just don't want to live like that, i don't want to bring in a child to this world when i know i can't 100% guarantee a happy life for them
people around me call me selfish for this, but is it really?
i don't understand why people want kids in the first place, all the boys i've met say it's because they want to continue their genes/bloodline
but isn't that more inherently selfish? wanting to bring a person into this world for the sole reason of continuing their genes?
or having children just because "it's the right thing to do", i can't understand these mindsets, but i don't shame people who want kids for thinking that way
so i don't understand why people around me act as if i'm so selfish for not wanting to have children
it's as if they can't accept it, they think i need help and i'll change my mind, when in reality i just don't want kids
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: is it selfish to not want children?

Unread post by Heather »

Even if it IS selfish, we all not only get to think of and center ourselves in these choices, we 1000% should, if we're going to make them responsibly.

No one owes the word children, no one owes the world their body in this regard, and there is no one right thing to do, especially where the actual potential children involved are concerned! Having children for its own sake or because someone thinks they have to sure isn't taking into account the actual life and needs of a child.

I can't speak for the people around you, but please know that much of the rest of the world isn't that ignorant or myopic, and you also certainly are not alone in not wanting to make, have, or parent kids, a completely valid choice. Even right in this thread. <3
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic