BC Pills

Questions and discussion about contraception, safer sex, STIs, sexual healthcare and other sexual health issues.
Anhils
not a newbie

BC Pills

Unread post by Anhils »

Hi there,

So I've started taking Rigevidon, a combined bc pill. I've got a few question a about the pill in general though,
I try to take the pill at about the same time everyday, but the it's harder than I expected and the time has ranged from about 4pm -9pm some days, so I've not been taking it at exactly the same time everyday- will this affect my protection in any way? My doctor said there's a little more leniency in this pill in taking it at the same time everyday but I didn't quite understand him.
Also, is it safe to take combined pills back to back?
And what is the effect of alcohol on BC? Would it decrease protection or effect in any way?

Thank you for all your help!
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Re: BC Pills

Unread post by Redskies »

That time window is fine for effectiveness from a combined pill. It's only at 12 hours later that a combined pill is properly late, in a way that can start to impact effectiveness. Some people do find that their bodies feel best when their pill-taking schedule is as regular as possible, and of course, it's easier to forget altogether if there's less routine. Some people find it helps to set a phone alarm for the same time every day.

Studies show it's safe for over-18s (there's simply a lack of study on under-18s) to take some packs back-to-back, so long as a person has at least 4 periods a year. If you think you might want to take your pill back-to-back sometimes, it's best to discuss it with your doctor, as they're best-placed to consider all your health needs and the most suitable pill for you. Just so you know, too, skipping the placebos doesn't always mean skipping the withdrawal bleed, and breakthrough bleeding is more likely after skipping placebos. So long as you take all the active pills correctly, there'll be no impact on effectiveness.

Alcohol won't affect your pill.

We have a bunch of information on the pill. Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill) is a good starting place, with links to several useful advice columns on the site.
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Anhils
not a newbie

Unread post by Anhils »

Thanks so much that's a huge help :)
My packet comes as 21 day pills- I don't think there are any placebos, as soon as I finish a pack I need to give it 7 days before starting another- but I was thinking of just starting another packet without a break so I can avoid a bleed for a holiday.
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Unread post by Redskies »

Ah, okay. The only purpose of placebo pills is to keep people in the habit of taking a pill every day :)

There's no guarantee you'd avoid a bleed when you skip the 7 days - some people have some bleeding anyway. Breakthrough bleeding during the second pack is also possible.
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Anhils
not a newbie

Unread post by Anhils »

So just as long as I take the pill everyday I'll be fine right, despite the time varying everyday? That said, I've now set an alarm to make sure I take it at the same time- proving helpful :)
I hope I do avoid the bleed itself, though I'm kind of concerned if there would there be some kind of build up if I keep going back to back with these pills?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

You really do want to do your best to take your pill around the same time every day -- like in the morning, afternoon or evening. That way, you get in the habit and it is much harder to space one out or take one past the 12-hour grace period, and your body, too, can get in the groove with it best. So, yep, so long as you take one of your pills, as directed, each day around the same time, then your pill will be as effective as it can be, which is around 99% effective for a year of use (that doesn't mean only after a year, it is just that effectiveness rates for any method are only done for a full year).

One of the things the pill does, and one of the ways it works, is to keep the endometrial lining thinner. So, as it is, there is usually less to shed, and as Redskies mentioned, so long as you have at least four withdrawal bleeds a year (meaning you don't keep taking the packs back to back all the time, at least four times each year you do the placebo week, and stop taking active pills during that 7-day break), there's no data so far that suggests any cause for concern.

It might help to also know that when your body needs to shed that lining, it will shed that lining. The pill can't overirde this completely, which is why even people who do use methods to suppress periods, and rarely, or even don't ever, take that placebo break will often still have some spotting, if not full "periods" sometimes.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic