Protection and its Effectiveness

Questions and discussion about your sexual lives, choices, activities, ideas and experiences.
ICantThink
not a newbie

Protection and its Effectiveness

Unread post by ICantThink »

so I don't know if this post belongs in this board or a different one, so if this is the wrong one I sincerely apologize. But my question is how effective are condoms and birth control combined at preventing pregnancy?

Right now I'm taking the ortho Vera patch but I'm going to talk to my doctor tomorrow actually to either lower the dosage or change it because the side effects are not agreeing with me. I was also previously taking the Yaz pill for about three years. Anyways, my boyfriend and I have had many conversations about what would happen when or if we got to that stage and what we would do.

We've both agreed that having at least two forms of protection is a must. I've heard that Plan B where I'm living is only available to 17 and up unless you have a prescription, so our two options are condoms and birth control since neither of us are yet 17.

So given that information, what is the possibility or risk of pregnancy using a condom and birth control? (As of right now birth control being the patch) And is what I've heard about Plan B true? As in having to be 17 or needing a prescription if under that age?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Protection and its Effectiveness

Unread post by Heather »

Check this out: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/sexua ... ol_with_a_

:)

It does not sound like you have the most current information about Plan B, no. However, either way, the doctor you see that gjves you your pill prescription can also give you a standing prescription for Plan B, if you like.

All of the things that prevent pregnancy are called contraception or birth control. Not just patches or pills. And you may have options like an IUD, an implant, or Depo, for example. So, if your current method is not doing well by you, what you want to do is sit down, ask about all your options, and work with your provider to find which sounds best for you.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
ICantThink
not a newbie

Re: Protection and its Effectiveness

Unread post by ICantThink »

Thank you for the link! It was very helpful in answering my question :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic