Strange period

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
nokatprotested
not a newbie
Primary language: English

Strange period

Unread post by nokatprotested »

So I've been taking Mononessa birth control pills for a year now (started them last July due to strange periods/long cycles) but now my period is getting weird again. It was normal until last month I got a very light period, mostly just clots and a bit of spotting for about 4-5 days, which started a day earlier than usual. Then this month, July, my period came 2 days later than usual and only lasted 2-3 days and I literally never used a pad, I only had stringy brown clots when I wiped and brown discharge in my panties a bit. My periods have worked like clockwork until now, is it normal for birth control to cause lighter periods after a year? I've heard of it happening early on in a new birth control, but not after taking it this long? My doctor just brushed this off as nothing because I told her I hadn't had sex, but it is really bothering me.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Strange period

Unread post by Mo »

I'm sorry if your doctor was dismissive of your concerns when you asked about this, but she's going to be the best resource to ask when you have questions about your birth control of your body's reaction to it, so if her response was that this isn't something to be concerned about then that is indeed the case. These changes aren't unusual on birth control, even after several months/years.
nokatprotested
not a newbie

Unread post by nokatprotested »

Also, if my withdrawal bleed started later than usual, could starting my active pills make it stop? I mean, my WB started on Friday and ended Sunday after I took my first active pill. Could that be because of my starting the new pack?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

That's not something we can really know. It may have more to do with your new pattern of bleeding for shorter chunks of time than starting the active pills, or it may be due to some other factor.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic