period delay by medicine?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
miabarry46
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/her

period delay by medicine?

Unread post by miabarry46 »

a few months ago I went on augmentin ( an antibiotic) for a cold and it messed up my cycle royally, this past week Wednesday the 16th, I was tested for pregnancy for something unrelated and received a negative; Although I was not in a scare, then later had safe/protected sex that night. The next day I had my wisdom teeth removed and have now been on 800mg of ibuprofen multiple times a day for six days now as prescribed by my doctor. Along with amoxicillin, another antibiotic. I am due for my placebo birth control period this week but am worried I am going to miss it altogether from the stress of the operation and the sheer amount of meds I am on currently. I don't think I have a reason to consider pregnancy either as I believe I was past ovulation and only had sex once (safely) post-test before I started these medications. I am going to continue waiting it out, but if I miss it should I test anyways? even with virtually no reason to suspect pregnancy, and if I do miss should I contact a doctor even though many websites say online I'm likely to delay with this amount of medicine? I don't think I am as worried about pregnancy here rather the complications missing this period.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: period delay by medicine?

Unread post by Heather »

I doubt that just an analgesic (ibuprofen) and an antibiotic would impact the timing of your period. If you are very ill, however, or have had a surgery, or both, *those* things could have an impact. But no one could really tell you what will or won't happen with any accuracy: this is something where you will just need to wait and see what happens.

You don't need to talk to a doctor one or two late or skipped periods: they happen very commonly and are usually nothing that indicates a health issue unless a period is missed because of pregnancy. There aren't complications to worry about just because of missed or late periods.

If your period doesn't arrive when you expect it, whether or not to test for pregnancy is a matter of personal preference. It sounds like you'd probably feel better if you did, but again, we're not even there yet.

My best advice is to try and switch your focus and take it off of these worries. I'd suggest doing whatever things you do for yourself that help you relax and feel better mentally, on top of just healing up after your surgery. <3
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic